Sunday, November 6, 2011

What I Think About Ink



What I think about Ink!

First let me tell you how much I made fun of Trish for inking things. As a beginner scrapper, I didn’t understand it… but then she taught me the importance of distressing papers and inking edges and I WILL NOT do a project without inking. I ink EVERYTHING, not matter how big or small. To me, a project doesn’t look complete until everything has been inked!

I was a long time loyal user of the Colorbox Cat Eye Chalk Ink, that is, until I came across numerous defective products. I can’t tell you how many times I was chalking the edges of a project and the entire pad would fall off of the base… and sometimes ruin my page with an unwanted streak from the falling pad. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, at first, thinking that it was just ONE bad Cat Eye… not so. So I started relying on my Colorbox Ink Wheels… only to have the same problem… so the search was on! After noticing the Tsukineko brand “Dew Drops” collection on many trips to the craft store, I figured I would give it a try (after all, they WERE on sale)! Dew Drops did not disappoint. Soon after, I started building a collection. I noticed there were different types of ink… so I decided to blog about it and decode it for you! Also, I love the tear drop shape. The pointed side is great for getting into small areas, while the rounded side is great for larger areas.

Tsukineko Dew Drops

Versa Magic: This has a chalk ink finish. I find these minis to be VERY long lasting and VERY well constructed! I find the colors to be true to packaging (you cannot see the pad because they are opaque covers).

Memento: Ok…. This pad is not foam like the chalk ink. This pad is firm and very similar to the Tim Holts Distress Ink pad. This ink, however, is a dye ink and is VERY opaque and vibrant. Also it is fade and smear resistant once dried! ***Also, these are sold in full size ink pads which is great for stamping AND the firmness of the pad will evenly distribute a fine layer if ink on your stamp allowing even the finest details of your stamped image to show through.

**Now the cons are that the color choices are limited UNLESS ordering single online.**
***Tsukineko Dew Drops also come in metallic finishes but I don’t own any because metallic inks just aren’t my thing but I am pretty sure the quality is good***

Tim Holtz Distress Ink: I thank Trish everyday for introducing me to this stuff! It has a firm, almost fabric-like ink pad and is GREAT for creating a distressed look for papers! I cannot tell you how often I use these! I use “Antique Linen” to tone down a paper’s brightness, and “Vintage Photo” goes on just about everything I make! I honestly wish I had the entire collection! This is one of those products that will become a regular in your crafting routine! AND…. These things last FOREVER! They do sell re-inkers for most if not all the colors, but to be honest, I have only had to re-ink one pad and most I have owned since 2006! Great investment!

With all of this being said, I am not above raiding the dollar bin at my local craft store for inks. I just think the quality of the inks listed above can’t be beat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment